"the purple tape"

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

GOAT

IT WAS ALL A DREAM
When i sat down to do this here, I thought to myself, "What can i do different to commemorate BIG?". For some of y'all this might be the second, third, fourth biggie tribute-shit who knows how many blogs bigged up the man today--so rather than chew through another boring personal "where was I when i first heard Biggie", or better yet one of those "i remember seeing biggie once at crown chicken on flatbush ave in 95" whogivesafucks. I opted to go a different route.
So in Cuban Links fashion, i'm just putting it all out there whether its music, pics, clothes, or kicks (i'm sure they are coming soon) So here it is, to the GOAT
:raises bottle:
B is for the bitches who cant understand how one fly nigga became a man

I is for the way it goes in and out one by one i knocks' em out

One of the dopest Biggie mixes i've ever heard--its a radio mix Spinbad did on March 9th of last year.


EARLY BIGGIE NOTEBOOK

(Marilyn Monroe is a hoe!)


2 For 5 (dollar hits, the blue tops!)
Ohio Players-Ecstacy (Brooklyn's Finest)
Oliver Swain-On The Hill (Young G'z Perspective)

G is the way the game goes in the gut

Biggie Live In Amsterdam

With the long-awaited Brooklyn Mint clothing line set to debut in 06, (t-shirts supposedly dropping today.) Here's 5 other's to hold you down in the meantime.
Fifty 24SF-Suekwon
NC Unified-Biggie
Red Clay-Get Money
Exact Sciene-Notorious
5 & A Dime-Poppa

Get the bitch, get the pussy, get the math im gone! What? It aint no more to it..

I'm gonna let my man bullets handle his own little situation on this thing he called think big..




I wanted to start with this track because its real symbolic. Biggie will forever be linked with Pac in most people’s head. Sadly all the rappers on this song are dead and more tragically through violent means. The original version of this song isn’t that dope. The remix however, has a dope beat and features Joe Hooker aka Harvey Pierre (SP) bka Diddy’s right hand man.


As gully and raw as Biggie was he was a master of the R&B 16. He basically gave the r&b blueprint to Jigga and had he been alive, I would venture to guess Best of Both Worlds would have featured the Real King of New York. I’m not saying Biggie was the originator but he sure did make it chic to lace r&b joints. This is one of my favorites. I was thinking about early Mary J Bilge remixes he appeared on but this song is so polished and his verse just compliments the track so well. In the day of the subliminal, if you listen close you should figure out whom the verse is directed to. I know you loving this fohr.

As smooth as Biggie sounded talking about chicks on r&b tracks he also had a mean pimp hand. I have heard about the original version of “Me and My Bitch” since RTD came out. I finally got my paws on this oft-fabled version. If you didn’t know this version was scrapped due to sample issues. This version is cool but I still prefer not the album version but yet the live version off The Show, with the Computer Love sample. That shit just has so much energy.

What makes an emcee great? The answer to that is subjective. Ask ten people and you might get ten different answers. If you ask me, I really couldn’t come up with a checklist but I would tell you Biggie embodies the definition of a great emcee. Besides the great body of work its other examples like this. I mean most of us suspect he wrote Kim’s shit and here’s proof. He writes the verses and demos the track for her to recite. I mean the ability to write for other artists is one thing but to personify a female through a track to me speaks of his talent.

Are we at number 1 already? This is my number 1 because I think this is the illest Big verse ever . Sorry for the suspect quality but I wanted to put up the original and not the remixed up dressed up bullshit Diddy put out. I remember hearing this off some tape and I sat there trying to memorize every line. The shits is just to raw. Rest In Peace Big. 1.

PS. Extra plout out to Goodfella for help on the audio.


No comments: