"the purple tape"

Friday, April 01, 2005

WHERES THE TYLENOL?



While Hashim broke down the new Saigitty joint..(word is Yardfather Vol 3 is on the way). I'mma do a little breakdown of my own..Peep three OG's from the mixtape...I should've done Bean's joint before this one but i guess that will have to wait until Monday

David Bowie-Bring Me The Disco King (Breathe Through The Years)
Fantastic Four - My Love Wont Stop At Nothing (No Idea)
Kenny Rogers - Lady (True Story)


I was really trying to save all my interviews with up-and-coming producers for a specific week, where i would showcase one a day for the whole week. But i'm too tired, hungover, and just not into really scrambling around for news so enjooooy.


I recently had the opportunity to sit down with one of the iller up-and coming producers in the game, Vin The Chin. Vin, along with Scram Jones make up the label/prodcution team, Beast Music Inc. With serious movements on the way, here's how it went down.

So Vin, tell us how long you been in the producing game for?
Been producing for about 10 years. Started landing joints about fours years ago.

You recently did the banger "Cuts From Nore", describe how that situation went down.
Nore asked me to make him a beat with scratches in it. I came to him with the joint and he loved it.

What kind of equiptment to you use to produce?
Top secret. Jus kiddin. I use alot of different shit. I got a mpc 2000, sp 1200, some sound modules wit a midi controller and alot of computer software.

Who are some of your influences as a producer?
Quincy Jones, Premier, Dr. Dre, Timbaland, Neptunes, etc... I'm a fan of all their music.

You and Scram been working together for awhile now, tell us what some up and coming projects y'all got going on.
We have a few artist we are developing right now. We're still working wit Nature. I been working with Nature for a while. I did 7 joints on his last album "Wild Gremlinz". Tryn to get a deal for Beast Music Inc. My self produced mixtape and a new one from Scram, plus a best of all our tracks that have been released.

Who are some of the artists you would like to work with?
Jay Z, Nas, 50.

Who is the craziest artist you have ever worked with?

Well it depends on what u mean. I've worked with Black Rob once and he's a ill dude. Nore's another crazy dude.

Who are the top 3 new cats you see making moves in 05?
Saigon, Saigon, and Saigon. I did a joint for him awhile back called "Papi (35 a Gram)" which was real crazy, and i knew he would blow from then. Honestly, I dont think any of the new cats coming up fucking with him, plus I havent heard anything from any of these new cats that grabs me.

What is some advice you can give to the kid who is trying to get into the producing game?
Not just anyone can get into it. First off, you got to have a love for music. It aint about the money to the true music heads. I work a 9 to 5 and hustle this music shit, but to be honest, even if I dont make any paper off the music it aint gonna make or break me cause at the end of the day I love doing it.

With out-of-town rap dominating the airwaves everywhere, how do you feel about the state of NY hip hop?
I happen to like out-of-town rap. We in NY just need to make records that's better than their's. Thats exactly what they did, and I aint mad at them.

SHOOT FIVE (This is a quick one-answer segment a la Espn's hotseat)

50 Cent or Fat Joe?
50

Haze or Sour Deez?
Dont smoke, but if I did it would be Haze

Jordan XX's or Lebrons?
Neither

Belvie or Goose?
Goose

Mets or Yanks?
Yankees

No comments: